Tel: Sales 01432 277077
|Herefordshire Accommodation||Herefordshire Cottages||Herefordshire Festivals and Events||Hereforshire Eating Out||Things to do in Herefordshire||Herefordshire Town Guide||Herefordshire Villages||Herefordshire Business||Herefordshire in Pictures|
Weobley VillagePopular Holiday Accommodation links;
Herefordshire Holiday Accommodation • Herefordshire Holiday Cottages • Campsites and Caravan sites in Herefordshire • Pubs In Herefordshire • Herefordshire B&B • Herefordshire Hotels • Tourist Attractions or Town & Village Business of any kind in Herefordshire.
Weobley Tourist Information and Travel Guide
History of Weobley Village Herefordshire
Wibba, son of Creoda, King of Mercia, founded ‘Wibba’s Ley’ as a defensive outpost against the Welsh in the 6th Century. A Ley is a natural clearing in a wood. Wibbelai was mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086. Here on the borders of Wales, Weobley has with many timber-framed houses, some dating back to the 1400's. Today it is a thriving village community that supports several shops and small businesses.
Weobley is one of the best-preserved Tudor villages in the country, with many beautiful timber framed buildings. It is considered the “jewel in the crown” of black and white villages in Herefordshire, England about 10 miles south-west of Leominster and is due south of Pembridge.
Of Weobley’s historic houses, is the house where King Charles I stayed in 1645 after his success at taking Hereford which he subsequently lost to the impressive Col. Birch, immortalised in Weobley’s fine Church of St Peter and St Paul. The Church has a fine spire, the second tallest in Herefordshire. Between the Church and The Red Lion is a small building that is all that remains of a medieval hall house and reputed to be the oldest cottage in England. You can see that the timber work is made largely of one huge oak tree cut through the middle. This is a cruck frame and one of two such structures in Weobley.
Crucks were made by sawyers who selected an oak tree where the trunk meets a large branch and cut it in half over a saw pit with a double handed saw. The sawyer on the top of the trunk was called the ‘top dog’ and the one in the pit, getting covered in sawdust, was
called the ‘underdog’; hence the terms we use today.
|Copyright © goherefordshire.co.uk 2013. Directory Software by Global 7|
|Herefordshire Accommodation >
Self Catering Holidays
Pet Friendly Places
Herefordshire Pub Accommodation
Herefordshire Bed And Breakfast
Herefordshire Caravan Parks
|Herefordshire Black and White Villages >
|Golden Valley Towns and Villages >
|Wye Valley Towns & Villages >
Tintern & Abbey